The 1st International Conference on Translation, Ideology and Gender is being organized around the general idea of addressing issues related to the representation of gender in translated discourses and the ideological implications the shifts of meaning may bear on female image construction. The conference stems from the Ministry funded research project TRACEgen (TRADUCCIÓN Y CENSURA EN LA REPRESENTACIÓN DEL GENERO: FFI2012-39012-C04-04), which focuses on studying the incidence of censorship on gender as manifested in the discourse of the health sciences.
The conference will provide an international forum for sharing information and for presenting the latest research findings. The program will feature international research and key note speakers in the field. The aim is to build on the research that has been developed in the last twenty-five years and to broaden its perspectives by considering gender representation filtered by power and ideology in translated text.
The Conference will focus on the following thematic areas:
- Gender and ideology in the Translation of the Health Sciences
- Gender views in the translation of popularized medical discourse
- Cultural representations of gender in translated medical discourse
- Terminology and gender in medical translation
- Social media and their representation of gender in translated medical discourse
- Genre shifting and its implications for the translation of gender.
Proposals related to other issues of gender in translation are welcome, such as the following:
- Gender and scientific discourse in translation
- Women translators in scientific translation
- Gender and censorship in translation
- Gender identities in translation
- Diachronic perspectives of the same text in different translations and their representation of gender
- The translation of gender related topics
- Female characters in translation
- Language, gender and politics in translation
Papers will be allotted 20-minute slots to be followed by a 10-minute discussion.
Abstracts of 250-300 words with the following information – a) author(s), b) a short bio, c) affiliation, d) email address – should be sent to the conference e-mail’: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for sending the abstracts: 1st September 2015
Notification of acceptance will be sent by 15th September 2015
Conference Languages:The languages of the Conference are English and Spanish.
Following the conference, a selection of papers will be published by the conference organizers in an edited volume.
Más información aquí.