Identify USB Stick Version visually
Coming to USB 3.0 pen drives, you’ll see a prominent difference from the USB 2.0 and older drives, with USB 3.0, USB-SS or USB Super Speed usually written on the pen drives.
Also, the connector will most likely be blue in color, which is representative of a USB 3.0 device or port.
One more visual cue that you will get is when you’ve plugged in your USB device to a USB 3.0 port on your PC, or even on a USB 2.0 port.
Identify USB Stick Version on Windows
Using Device Manager:
- Open the Device Manager.
- In the “Device Manager” window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.
- If your USB port name contains “Universal Host”, your port is version 1.1.
- If the port name contains both “Universal Host” and “Enhanced Host”, your port is version 2.0.
- If the port name contains “USB 3.0″, your port is version 3.0.
- How do I identify a USB 1.0 or 2.0 or 3.0 pen drive?“;
- Determine the version of USB ports on your computer“; University Information Technology Services