The Royal Mint of Spain, also known with the acronym FNMT (from the Spanish Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre) is a public institution of the state of Spain that, among other tasks, issues digital certificates for natural persons (in Spanish, certificado digital de personas físicas) that are available for all their residents. It is also known as User FNMT certificate (in Spanish, certificado FNMT de usuario)
There are two types of digital certificates for natural persons:
- Software digital certificate: the certificate can be installed as a software on any computer.
- DNIe: the certificate will be linked to the physical DNIe card, so the certificate will work on any computer that is able to read this card and has the corresponding drivers and software installed.
This post is about how to get the digital certificate for natural persons, and more specifically, the software digital certificate.
Steps to get a Software Digital Certificate for Natural Persons in Spain for the first time
Step 1. Apply required configuration on your computer
Remember that you must use the same computer throughout the whole process. Ensure you have admin privileges on the computer to install software and modify configuration. Do not format your computer until the process is finished.
You must install the FNMT-RCM Configuration Wizard. Go to this link, find your operating system, download and run the installer and follow the steps
More info about FNMT-RCM Configuration Wizard (in Spanish)
You also need to install AutoFirma. It can be downloaded from this link, choose your OS and download the installer.
Step 2. Make a request to FNMT
Once the first step is completed, you can make a request fo a Digital Certificate for Natural Persons in FNMT from this link.
Step 3. Find a validation office nearby
Once FNMT Digital Certificate is request, you must go physically to a validation office in order to authenticate your identity and get your digital certificate.
You can find a map with all offices nearby you. They are all public administration offices.
Step 4. Request an appointment to validation office
Request an appoint in the selected validation office. This process varies according to the institution, as there are local town hall offices, tax institutions, social security offices, etc.
Appointment for Social Security of Spain ( Social Security of Spain > Citizens > Prior appointment for beneficats and other procedures >> Make an appointment for pensions and other benefits > No certificate)
Appointment for Salamanca Town Hall (choose “Trámite: certificados digitales”)
Step 5. Confirm your identify on validation office
When you go to the office, you will have to show your ID to prove your identify, like your DNI, NIE or passport.
You will have to wait one hour before being able to download your digital certificate.
Step 6. Download your digital certificate
Once it is validated, you can finish the process by downloading this certificate from this link, on the computer where you made originally the request.
This certificate can be installed on any computer, but you need to remember the password.
Renew your Software Digital Certificate for Natural Persons in Spain
You can find further information here.
You might be also interested in…
- How to sign a PDF using digital Certificate for natural Persons in Spain
- How to make Windows prompt a password when digital Certificate is used
- Websistes where Spanish FNMT Digital Certificate can be used for Authentication
- Sede Electrónica FNMT; “Obtener certificado software“; (Spanish)
- Sede Electrónica FNMT; “Renovar certificado“; (Spanish)
- Social Security of Spain; “Guía rápida de obtención del certificado de usuario de la FNMT-RCM“; (Spanish)